Stink bugs have made it into our area in unprecedented numbers, and they are looking to you for shelter from the cold weather. Here are some tips on controlling the stinky invaders:
The number one method to control stink bugs in your home is to keep them from entering in the first place.
- Check for areas in your home where they are known for entering such as cracks around window and door trim, siding and chimneys and ceiling fixtures.
- Inspect around pipes, HVAC lines and electrical wires entering the house or structure. [sealing windows]
- Use a good caulk to seal these areas. This is not only beneficial for controlling pesky stink bugs, but will reduce utility bills too.
If stink bugs have managed to slip past your line of defense, it is not recommended to use an insecticide such as spray or dust. Although the this sounds like a quick fix to the problem another pest control problem may arise. Carpet beetles and mites that feed on the carcasses may become an issue. It is recommended if you see one, capture it & flush it. Smashing it will release the very unpleasant odor it’s known for. If you have several stink bugs, vacuum them up and discard the vacuum bag immediately.
Helpful tips to put some further worries to rest.
- Lingering stink bugs odors? Don’t worry. Unlike skunks, the secretions from stink bugs are easily cleaned up with soap and water.
- Stink bugs do not reproduce indoors. So once you have controlled the population indoors, just focus on sealing them out.
There are things you can do to control the stink bugs outside of your home as well. We will be featuring important tips in our next article.
Mention this article and receive $20 off your next Epcon Lane visit.