Happy Valentine’s Day!
For those of us who love birds, creating a backyard bird sanctuary is a fun and advantageous activity. Being able to provide basic needs for the birds in our area during harsh weather is pretty rewarding. But there are steps you can take to turn your back yard into a year long retreat. And during summer months the birds will show their gratitude with an all organic pest control army for your garden!
Have fun choosing the landscape design and types of birds you would like to attract to guard your garden . Some examples of great pest control birds you would like to have on your side are Chickadees, bluebirds, and nuthatches. They enjoy feeding on beetles, plant lice, grasshoppers and much more! The farmers almanac provides a wonderful planting guide that can help you choose plants appropriate for feeding and sheltering the types of birds you would like to attract.
Just like us birds like a place to stay warm during harsh winter months and a place to raise their young. The following are types of shelters that bird will be thrilled to find open for accommodation:
- Conifers (evergreens) provide shelter during storms and harsh weather. Not only that, but the berries can provide nutrition during winter months.
- Install bird houses and nesting boxes
- Brush piles or old Christmas trees can provide adequate shelter
Tips for Feeders and Water Supplies
Choosing to feed the birds is rewarding and beneficial.
Maintaining your feeder and birdbath are vital to the health of the birds you are feeding and to limit the spread of contamination. Be sure to keep both clean and free of mold and mildew.
- Choose a cement or granite birdbath over ceramic ones in cold weather areas. Although they are attractive, they are prone to crack in cold temperatures.
- Clean the birdbath regularly and use a heater in extreme weather to provide fresh, unfrozen water
- Store seed in a container with a tightly fitting lid to prevent mice
- Wash bird feeder monthly with a solution of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water. Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry completely prior to refilling.
Mention this article and receive $20 off your next Epcon Lane visit.