Did you know that a mouse can enter your home through a hole the diameter of a pencil & a rat can move in through the size of a quarter? As you can see, these furry pests don’t need much of a window of opportunity to infiltrate your living space and unfortunately, they can do a lot of harm once they do.
Here are 3 Great Reasons Why You Need to Rodent-Proof Your Home:
- More than 200 different kinds of germs can be passed by rodents!
- They can damage your dwelling by chewing, defecating & burrowing throughout your home & property.
- Rodents will gnaw on your electrical wires and can cause structural fires.
7 Tips to Rodent-Proof Your Home or Office:
- Tour your basement during the day & look for light filtering in through gaps, holes or incoming pipes or utility lines. Caulk the gaps with expandable foam mixed with steel wool.
- House, dryer & roof vents should be screened (make sure not to restrict airflow)
- Chimneys should have professional caps on them
- Garage doors & man doors should have door sweeps and/or weather stripping to seal any gaps. Weather stripping needs to extend 24” above ground on the garage doors
- Check crawl spaces and seal any entry gaps
- Trash receptacles should have tight fitting lids.
- Remove clutter & vegetation around your building, pools, hot tubs, sheds and air conditioners. This helps prevent areas of harborage.