How to Treat a Bee Sting

by Amanda Pigford on April 26, 2013

If you are stung by a wasp or bee, your first action is simple: If you are allergic, seek immediate professional medical attention. Bee allergies are serious reactions that can lead to death if untreated.

If you’re not allergic to stings, follow these steps, provided by WebMD:

  • Remove the stinger. If left in your skin, stingers can cause irritation or deposit small doses of venom in your bloodstream. Remove the stinger with tweezers or a scraping motion. Avoid squeezing the stinger to prevent additional release of venom.
  • Ice the area to prevent swelling. If you’re wearing snug jewelry near the affected area, remove at once. Elevate stings on your legs or arms.
  • To moderate pain, you may take appropriate doses of over-the-counter pain medication. You may also take an antihistamine to help with itching.
  • Keep the area clean. Look for results in two to five days.

Remember, the most painless treatment is prevention of the sting in the first place. Call Epcon Lane to make your summer bee-free!

Mention this article and receive $20 off your next bee treatment.

Previous post:

Next post: