Indian Meal Moths could be a secret hiding in your cupboards waiting to emerge this spring. Take these preventative steps to avoid an infestation from moving into your home this spring.
TIPS to keep your home from being invaded by Indian Meal Moths:
1. Examine cereals, flour & dried fruit for infestations at the store & at home. Avoid purchasing broken or damaged packages. Dispose of infested packages.
2. Purchase foods in small quantities that you don’t use often in small quantities. Store in airtight containers. Don’t keep for more than 6 months.
3. Sanitation is the best method to avoid pests. Covering shelves with shelf paper & keep them clean & dry.
4. If you discover that you have Indian Meal Moths, locate the source of infestation and quickly get rid of the product. Dispose of infested foods in wrapped, strong, plastic bags or in sealed containers.
5. Pheromone traps can be used to detect moths, but the trap alone is a “monitoring tool” NOT A CONTROL METHOD.
6. The use of insecticides is discouraged around food materials. However, aerosol sprays, labeled for this use, will control nuisance moths flying around rooms.
7. It is always best to contact a reputable, licensed pest control company who has training, experience and equipment to get control & eliminate infestation.
Indian Meal Moth Identification & Prevention
- The female moth lays between 60 and 300 eggs
- Larvae appear as “white worms with black heads”
- Larvae will travel from their food source to pupate in cracks and crevices.
- They may crawl to where the wall and ceiling meet or to the top of the cupboard where they spin a cocoon. Next the new adult moths emerge.
- In Northeast Ohio, with the cold weather, they overwinter through March and moths emerge in April. Although adult moths live only 5 to 7 days, their major function to reproduce. Hence the reason it suddenly seems like you have a large infestation in little time.
Have conerns or questions? Give us call & we will be glad to help. Have a possible infestation, we can schedule your service today! Call Epcon Lane at 330-724-0007